Wednesday 27 July 2011

Work, Hat and chemo talk.

Today I had my interview with Occupational Health. I was very sceptical about it, as the literature they had requested I read, had focused very much on stress related long term absence from work. As you all know my absence has solely been down to a huge operation and adjuvant chemotherapy. The woman who interviewed me was actually quite fair and was perfectly happy with my return to work plans. It appears that my line manager just wanted reassurance that the plan was feasible. I was pretty sure it was as I had researched what was acceptable before I wrote my plan.


Flushed with success, Mr G and I headed into town to look round the shops. After we parked the car, I had a narrow escape as two men lost control of a trolley loaded with packs of paper. Fortunately most of the paper had fallen off before the trolley hit me on my calf. The men were very apologetic and looked horrified at nearly injuring a bald headed woman. I've got a bit of a bruise but as I bruise if you look at me just now, no real harm done. I KNOW they will be more careful in future.
We had almost finished our tour of the shops when I spotted yet another sale. I went in looking for a bag. As I scanned the racks, what should I spot but an off white, chiffon and georgette ruffled flower confection in the sale. It is made of soft and gentle material for a softly fuzzy scalp. I reached it down and nearly trembling with excitement tried it on. It fitted beautifully and will look amazing with my frock. I shall still take the little crochet cap in case it is windy, as I can't use hatpins yet!


We headed back to the car and set off for petrol and food fuel for us. Now Mr G and I have some games we play when on car journeys. They consist either of finding cars in all the colours of the rainbow or by scoring points for colours of vehicle spotted. I believe it began as Red Lorry, Yellow Lorry many moons ago. Pink rates very highly and the bigger the vehicle the more points. As we came out of the car park and drew up at traffic lights I saw a bright pink stretch limousine - in my chemo head excitement at outstripping Mr G,
I squealed ' Mine, pink, my points there!' To his credit, he completely understood that my chemo brain could not at that moment find the words stretch limo, or even car, but could shout pink and mine!


This is a perfect example of one of the invisible side effects of chemo - word loss!
Today has been a good day. Cancer was put in its place.

3 comments:

  1. Well from my usual daily conversations with my daughter Rosie, that is how she would say it anyway!!! However, i know that you and Rosie are not at all in the same "boat" and I think I understand where you are coming from... Ali, your blogs are brilliant, and you inspire so many people, please... document them as someone else has also said.
    Great Hat!
    I have never ever worn a fancy hat for any occasion, they always look stupid on me, large head size ( why does everybody call me big head ?) 7 5/8 size, the only hats I've ever really worn were a motorcycle helmet/hat and a riding helmet when I used to ride horses in my youth... how wonderful that you and Mr G will be out in your finery again, just think its so gorgeous!

    As for the rest...shopping trolleys etc.. "Nil Barstada Carborundum"... or something like that... don't let the B's grind you down !

    addendum:

    You are the "Amazing Ali!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahahaha love it! Well obviously not the wordloss/hair loss etc but just imagining you pointing frantically :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete