Monday 4 July 2011

Pretties...

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that a diagnosis of cancer has far reaching consequences. It is a bit like dropping a pebble in a pool, the ripples expand outwards affecting more and more of the surface. The ripple I'm writing about today is about appearance and confidence. Although my surgery did not have the impact on my body image that breast cancer would have done, it has left a mark. I never did wear clothing that flashed my tummy (ever), but nonetheless my scar is large and my tummy has a rather lumpy appearance. I've made it clear that losing my hair bothered me less than it might others. Despite this my confidence in my appearance has taken a huge knock. I think it started before my cancer was diagnosed when my abdomen swelled so much that I looked 8 months pregnant. I had to buy clothes quickly to cover the bump and all while I was feeling really poorly.
We have a couple of weddings to attend soon and a scan of my wardrobe revealed very little that was suitable. I have my outfit from my daughter's wedding, but that was in April and the clothes may be a little warm.
So, it was with trepidation, I set off with Mr G to buy some clothes on Saturday. I had it in my mind that a maxi dress would be a good idea, but remember I wore these first time round in the 1970's. To cut a long story short, after three shops my heart was sinking. Why dress designers think an ample bosom can be contained by shoe string straps, I have no idea! Most of the dresses I saw would have caused me to frighten small children.
Then I saw it..

The Dress...

...it has it all. Enough coverage to be decent. It is made of silk, so it is swooshy. It makes me feel like a princess. I bought it.

I was on a roll. In short order, I found a little crochet cap to which I added a silk flower to wear with the Dress.


Next, I found two tops which fit like a dream, and either of which are perfect for the evening wedding we are attending.




Lastly I found two scarves which make lovely soft head coverings for cooler days and evenings.


It is hard to describe how much the success of these purchases has raised my confidence. It is a huge step towards getting my life back.
Onwards and upwards.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. Good for you. Love the dress too! x

    ReplyDelete