Monday 1 August 2011

A wedding and other fun!

Mr G and I spent this weekend in the Peak District. We drove up on Saturday morning, leaving very early. We arrived in Buxton at 10.00 am and to my surprise and delight were allowed to book into our hotel room immediately. This meant I had a base for all my things. We had a coffee and a sandwich before we headed to the church for Smart car pictures before the wedding. Oh yes,I need to tell some of my readers that Mr G and I are Smart car enthusiasts. I have a Smart fortwo and Mr G has a Smart Brabus Roadster Exclusive. We were in Mr G's car on this occasion.

My car, Roxie.

The wedding went without a hitch, the bride looked fabulous. My hat was a huge success, I felt gorgeous for the first time in ages.
After the ceremony, the Smart car owners went off into the country for more pics.
Mr G took this picture of H & J and the cars.


We went back to Buxton and enjoyed a fantastic reception. I was able to hit the dance floor again and managed to keep going until 11.00pm! Considering I had got up at 6.00am, I impressed myself.
After a restless night, strange bed, bells ringing every hour, we decided to get breakfast early. The spread on offer was extensive so we both enjoyed a large meal fuelling ourselves for the day.
We had decided to go to the Blue John Cavern. We had both been there before, but some time ago, in other company. I vaguely remembered the many steps and was a little apprehensive. The climb down the 245 steps was not too bad, because we had stops as our guide explained about the caves and mineral deposits. My real challenge came on the climb back up. The guide had said we would take our time but I got stuck at the back of the group (because I was as slow as a two year old girl!)
This meant that I had only just caught up when we started climbing again. This escapade brought home to me very sharply how debilitating having chemo is. I was close to tears when joy of joys I saw daylight and the surface. I don't regret the visit one bit, but it was very hard. I am still sore and stiff!

Entrance to Blue John Cavern.

A view inside the cavern.

After we left the Cavern we explored Edale and then we travelled across the Cat and Fiddle road to Macclesfield. We stopped for excellent tea and cakes at the tea rooms on the way. In the evening we discovered a super Italian restaurant and had some of the best Italian food we have enjoyed outside Italy.
Today, I woke up still tired and sore but happy that I was there enjoying REAL life. We had planned to go to Chester but it was raining so we journeyed home via Lichfield. We explored the cathedral and looked round the town. My legs complained at every set of steps and up all the slopes, but I definitely felt stronger.
I am REALLY not looking forward to my last chemo on Thursday. It has been so good feeling well and being able to join in. However, I must try to remember that by the time two weeks have passed on from Thursday I should be feeling better. After three weeks have passed I should be starting to get stronger. Then I will be looking forward to enjoying some more adventures with Mr G before I go back to work in September.

7 comments:

  1. Stay positive the end is in sight, its amazing how quickly life starts to feel normal again. Love the car but I am a Fiat 500 girl xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back and WELL DONE! you might have felt 'as slow as a two year old girl' but you did it!! :o) hope the soreness doesn't last too long, and woo!!!! for the last chemo!!!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an uplifting read Alison! Would love to see a pic of you and 'the hat'! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely read, I am so pleased you had a good weekend! And thinking of you for Thursday.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the peaks - it's awesome up there! Love all the caverns too but they are tiring for everyone don't worry! We went to the devil's arse :P Plus I climb up there a lot. Sounds like you had a fabby time - very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading your post. You seem to have great strength inside because of the positive nature of your words. Chemo, yes, I have had friends and children I know facing that beast. We tell ourselves it's for the best but it can be hard.

    Your trip sounded incredible, experiences to remember. I hope all goes well in your last chemo and strength returns much quicker than you expect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay to real life being enjoyed once more! It's amazing what a bit of a bop on the dance floor can do for the soul! Xx

    ReplyDelete