Sunday 24 July 2011

Hair and tears...

My hair has been growing for three weeks now and my head is covered with down. My eyebrows are starting to grow back too. Now, when I shower, I have to gently pat my head dry so I don't damage the baby hair.


I'm told that this baby hair will be replaced in time by proper hair. To properly care for my new hair I quickly realised that the hair care implements from before, would not do. I have those brushes with plastic spikes for blowdrying, these would simply cut my scalp to ribbons.
So yesterday, I went and bought some more suitable hair care tools.


Aren't they lovely! The brush is really soft and is gentle on fluff and scalp. The comb will need to wait until the hair has enough length to lie down.


I have often said how much I appreciate Mr G. I would certainly have struggled to cope on my own. Ever since I first became ill, remember this saga began on 7th January, he has supported me, held me, hugged me and cared for me. He has been very tired recently with the pressures of end of year work in a large and busy school technology department as well as looking after me. Things came to a head this morning. The house has suffered with me in the dark side and Mr G tired out from work. We started straightening up this morning and exchanged some uncharacteristically sharp words over the jobs. The upshot was that poor Mr G went into meltdown. I have rarely seen anyone sob so hard. This of course set me off and we huddled on the stairs weeping in each others arms. It really brought it home to me what an immense burden cancer puts on everyone involved in it. As Mr G so rightly says, there seems no end to it all. Although my treatment ends soon with my final chemo, this does not remove the spectre of cancer from our lives. We still have to live with it day in, day out. We have to learn to live in spite of it. None of this has been helped with my Local Authority sending me letters saying that my sick pay was being halved next month because I 'am unable' to return to work! I can't work , work is closed!! I have sent in my Fit to work certificate. Fortunately our School Bursar is not a jobsworth and is going to sort it out for me during her school holiday. Mr G knows I am blogging about this. We are fine, if tired from the meltdown. Mr G had internalised all his pain and worry for months and months, I'm not surprised he crashed. We will continue to love and care for each other like we always do.
We are strong, cancer won't break us.

4 comments:

  1. sending big hugs to all..... so true... think we all bottle it up for a while and then it's got to come out sooner or later....
    "We are strong, cancer won't break us" - fab, and so true xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr G is worth his weight in Gold... as You are to him too , you both deserve pampering, hopefully soon you both could find a way together,you're blog is amazing Ali, and I am always reminded of the bit in a Winnie the Pooh film, when he is reminding himself,

    http://youtu.be/9tRepZdoRmY
    Christopher Robin: "Pooh Bear, what if someday there came a tomorrow when we were apart?"
    Pooh: "As long as we're apart together, we shall certainly be fine."
    CR: "Yes, yes, of course. But if, if we weren't together... if i were somewhere else?"
    P: "Oh, but you really couldn't be, as I would be quite lost without you. Who would I call on those days when I'm just not strong enough or brave enough?"
    CR: "Well, actually..."
    P: "And who would I ask for advice when I didn't know which way to turn?"
    CR: "Pooh, we..."
    P: "We... we simply wouldn't be."
    CR: "Oh, Pooh. If ever there's a tomorrow when we're not together, there's something you must remember."
    P: "And what might that be, Christopher Robin?"
    CR: "You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
    P: "Oh, that's easy. We're braver than a bee, and, uh, longer than a tree, and taller than a goose... or, uh, was that a moose?"
    CR: "No, silly, old bear! You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is even if we're apart, I'll always be with you. I'll always be with you. I'll always be with you."
    -From "Pooh's Most Grand Adventure: The Search For Christopher Robin"

    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED TO DISNEY.


    I hope that you and Mr G , ( Alias Christopher Robin) enjoy this little clip!

    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. you two must be one of the most insperational couples i know, and i aint to good with these feeling things

    i am just so glad you have each other especially when needed xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The men in our lives think they have to be so strong and protective over us and they forget to look after themselves in these situations. I understand what you are going through. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete