Sunday 29 May 2011

Unexpected pleasures...

Sometimes when something awful happens in your life, you find out who your true friends are. Sometimes people find things difficult and don't know what to say.
I am hugely blessed in that every single one of my friends has been hugely supportive, even if half the world away. I've already blogged on the internet and how it keeps me connected. Today, we had an open house. We had organised a Treasure Hunt for family and friends, followed by a barbeque cooked by Mr G. We had originally planned the Treasure Hunt for New Years Day but the weather was too bad. Since then of course, I've had my surgery and now started on chemotherapy. All the people we expected arrived in East Northamptonshire from as far afield as Sussex, Norfolk, Suffolk, Notts, Warwickshire and Herts. I was thrilled to see so many friends who had travelled so far to see us. We already had family staying. All those participating set out for the Treasure Hunt, a number of us stayed behind and nattered, laughed and had a drink or two. Of course people asked about what's been happening because I had not seen them from ages. But generally today was about fun and laughter. It has been about teasing, old jokes, wordplay, seeing who can make the biggest bubble with the giant bubble blower, eating too much and maybe drinking a little too much pear cider. That might have been me! So I can hear you think, what makes this so special. Today was great. Today was about fun, and friends, food and drink.
Cancer was NOT allowed to play.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds a wonderful day, what a lovely idea and a lovely group of friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a truly fab day - the friends came to me so I did not have to do uncomfortable tiring travelling. A win for all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab! So glad you had a lovely day! Loving the thought of cancer coming to knock for you and it not being allowed to play- the bully!!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cancer is never allowed to play at my house - ner, ner, ne, ner, ner :-P

    ReplyDelete