Thursday 19 May 2011

There's no accounting for taste...

You'll want to eat curry, they said, the spicier the better. You'll have cravings too...


The effect chemo has on the sense of taste is well known. I was warned things would taste metallic, and that I might develop a sore mouth. The sore mouth has, mercifully, been confined to an overnight inconvenience. Long may it stay that way.
The change in taste is fairly subtle. I used to enjoy vanilla flavouring, milk chocolate, peanuts. All these now taste like cardboard. My new flavours of choice are of the tangy variety. I love ginger biscuits, tonic water, I even like green sweets now! Previously I would have chosen red or purple fruit sweets, but now I choose yellow or green. Such was my desire for tangy last night that we went shopping and I bought Key Lime Pie. I've been converted. Much to my relief I can still enjoy chocolate, but the darker the better and if it has ginger in it, so much the better. Next shop, I'm going to buy ice pops green and yellow of course. I still don't like sour things, but tangy definitely wins.
Well there is NO accounting for taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment