Friday 2 September 2011

Wait and see...

Yesterday morning, I saw my Oncologist for my post treatment appointment. I had already had results from my scan and blood tests. There is no evidence of disease (NED) from the can and the blood test ca125 is a very healthy 12/13 - normal levels are from 0 -35. All this is very pleasing, for now, my disease has been dealt with. My Oncologist explained that for the next five years I would be monitored. They do NOT routinely scan or blood test ladies who have had ovarian cancer. Instead, I am expected to be vigilant about sustained changes in my body. If I notice something then I must contact my Macmillan Nurse as soon as I can, I will then be seen in clinic. I was also given a challenge by my Oncologist to reduce my weight before I next see her. My next official appointment is in three months.
There was one slightly scary part to my meeting yesterday. I was very unwell after my last chemo, the side effects were horrid. This evidently means that SHOULD I need chemo again, I will have to go to Northampton as an inpatient to have my treatment. Let's hope that does not happen. After the appointment Mr G and I headed out for another of our little road trips. We went to Market Harborough where we had a delicious lunch. I tried to enjoy it completely but unaccountably I found myself weepy and tearful. I think it had struck me that my watchfulness is going to have to be lifelong. This is daunting. I know I will process this and get on with my life in my usual full on way. Because I was teary, Mr G texted his Mum, (my Marmee) to ring me and talk to me. It was a joy to hear her tender voice counselling me to be calm and that I was not alone in all this. I almost immediately felt much better. We spent the afternoon at Foxton Locks,
this is one of our favourite places. We fed the ducks and enjoyed a cup of tea.
So, this is the end of treatment, my job now is to trim up, get active again. I am sure returning to work on Monday will get me more active! I shall be very busy. Go me!

4 comments:

  1. I used to go to Foxton Locks with my grandparents when I was little! Off to Bradgate Park for a picnic this Sunday- they used to take us there too! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleased to hear that everything is normal and I'm sure you'll get used to the vigilance and know what to look for now. It's so lovely that Mr G's mum knows just what to say to help you feel better :0) Keep smiling x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ali, so glad that you are over the "fuzzie muzzie's" and that life will move forward, the bottom line is, each of us has to make the most of every day, none of us have guarantees... you have the advantage babe, you know this, a lot of us just go around in ignorance, unaware of how lucky we are to be here. I am certain that Mr G and yourself deserve to go out and do extraordinary things, have amazing moments, and harness on the strength and support of those near and far who care about you and wish you happiness!

    love and big hugs
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck and big hugs lovely xxx So glad you are well xx

    ReplyDelete