Thursday 8 September 2011

A necessary evil...

A few weeks ago I got a summons from the Breast Screening service at the local hospital. At the time I thought it was yet another belt and braces check ordered by my Oncologist. I was not best pleased, but it fell on a none working day, so I had no excuse to avoid it. The thought of the mammogram made me very nervous. My sister is four years on from breast cancer and we are awaiting genetic testing to check if our cancers are genetically linked. I have had enough of hospital and cancer and I am frightened that if they find breast cancer, I will have to endure more surgery and chemo to deal with ANOTHER dose of life threatening illness.

Today was the day. I drove to the hospital a bundle of nerves. I booked in and discovered that my appointment was a coincidence, it was just my turn for screening. My turn duly arrived and the lovely lady  manouvered my body and boob into possibly the most uncomfortable position she could, then she clamped my boob between the plates. That hurt. Then she screwed it down tighter and went off to take her picture. To be fair, it was only a few seconds of excruciating pain but it made me cry. I am feeling very vulnerable at present and am probably more susceptible to painful stimuli. I explained this to the radiographer and she was most sympathetic but nothing changed the fact I had to have three more pictures taken. Two of these required me to hold my breath. When all was done, the radiographer said she would check the quality of the pics before I left to avoid me getting a call back letter. I sat and waited, and my heart plummeted when she called me back. Sure enough I had to have two more pictures taken. If I thought the first ones had hurt, these were worse because my breasts were so tender from the previous procedures.

Now, ladies I don't want to put you off. These are life saving measures. Screening does mean that breast cancer can be caught early and treated effectively. I WILL attend in three years time. What I will say is that the means for screening MUST have been designed by a man. You will note that testicles are not monitored by being squashed VERY firmly between two blocks of plastic. I rest my case...

4 comments:

  1. Poor you. But it is so important to have these screenings. I grab anything that comes my way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. The only reason my breast cancer was found was because my breasts were full of cysts which had to be checked and drained every six months. Cysts are painful on their own but when clamped down on a mammogram it brought many tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want to put ladies off but feel there is a huge tendency in the medical profession to minimise possible discomfort to the point of untruth. I've had two procedures this year which have been awful, but were described as possible discomfort. I know they don't want to frighten people, but I would actually have liked to have someone with me today, but didn't think it was necessary from the blurb. I'm sure it hurt more than last time.

    ReplyDelete