Tuesday 28 February 2012

Another fresh start...

Well, on March 2nd, it will be one year since I was told I definitely had cancer. At that particular point, the cancer had all been removed but I had loose cells in my tummy.
So, here I am, thumbing my nose at one set of statistics. I made it. I am well.
My clinical psychologist is very pleased with my progress. We have agreed I can be discharged, but her door remains open, should I need to return.
Mr G and I have moved home. We needed to get out of the 'sick' home. So we've moved to the country. This story is on Well, I never .
I needed to remake our home. At the old house, we had never properly created a home as when we moved there, my cancer, unknown to me was already making its presence felt. The utter exhaustion of the months, preceding my diagnosis, was appalling. I could barely function.
Here, in our new home, there are no bad memories. We are already building wonderful new memories.
My next check up is on 15th March. I have an appointment with the Genetics doctor from Oxford on the 19th. There is no escape from reminders of my brush with death. I am living though. Cancer does not colour my days any longer. I would be foolish to pretend that blood tests do not bother me, or that I am not apprehensive about my appointments, but they do not keep me awake at night.
I rest easy.
I am well.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ali,
    Wow, you've moved house, totally know what you mean though, I felt like I had to leave South Wales for the same reason & whilst it's still been tough in Liverpool for the past few months, I do still feel that I've made a fresh start here.
    How fantastic that you've been discharged!
    I too felt completely exhausted before I was diagnosed, I'm really looking forward to getting my energy back!!
    And, yes, 'our diagnosis' still hangs over us but I do feel that we've now got to live with the thought that 'yes, I'm well' & act as if cancer (although it will still be a big factor in our lives), hasn't beaten us & hopefully, it never will.
    With lots of good wishes for love, luck, happiness & HEALTH(!!) in your new home, take care,
    Love Chez. xx
    P.S: My mums birthday on the th, will be thinking of you!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today you are offically one year on... HURRAH!
    Really hope all is well at your check-up and your NEDness continues.
    Enjoy your new home (sill in Northants?) and the making of many happy memories over many years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both xx It is the support of dear ladies, like yourselves, that has made a tough time much easier to bear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, my one year anniversary is next week the 13th. I am hoping to make it a special day. I am too in the process of sorting out a mortgage as we have seen a fab house. The only downside to the move though is the stress. I know you must understand what i mean as you have just done it yourself. I am ready for a fresh start now just like Chez and yourself. Good luck with the appointment next week xx

    ReplyDelete